Welcome to Bad Habits Off Road - Sign Up or Login

You are currently showing up as a guest, take a minute to sign up on the site to gain full access to all of the topics and features. Signing up takes 2 minutes, sign up today!

Reply to Thread

JBS Hot Rod Sheave Kit for Grizzly and Rhino.

I just installed a JBS Hot Rod Sheave Kit last week. The kit included a machined primary sheave, 16g Mr Pulley greaseless weights and cam plate sliders, and an EPI purple spring. The install was really easy. It only took me 2 hours after I had all the correct tools. The hardest part of the install was finding a 45mm socket. I finally gave up and bought a 1 13/16" socket and it worked just fine.

I just took my 700 and 550 out to Chesterfield Trails this past Saturday and Sunday for the first ride since installing JBS sheaves in both bikes. I absolutely love this kit!

First, let me compare what I noticed in my bike between stock tires and 28" Zillas before the JBS sheave for a baseline. Before the sheaves were installed, I noticed only a little loss in bottom end with the bigger tires. Most noticeably in mud holes and in situations where I was trying to climb over something like a big tree limb, out of a deep mud hole with a steep exit, over a tree root in a deep rut, etc. It seemed like it took more throttle than it did with the stock tires to get the same response out of my bike. I could get the front wheels light and sometimes a little off the ground in high gear from a stop on flat ground with both sets of tires as long as I could get enough traction. In low gear I could stand the bike all the way up on the back rack if I wasn't careful. I also thought engine breaking was to sudden. As soon as you let off the throttle it was instantly full engine breaking. When your riding down hills on snow or mud covered rocks the sudden hard engine breaking can easily put you into an unwanted slide.

After installing a JBS sheave, greased 16g Mr Pulley greaseless sliding roller weights, cam plate slidders and a purple spring I immediately noticed a huge improvement in bottom end and mid-range. The bike seems to run at a little higher RPM. It's just enough to keep it right in the power band all the time. Throttle response and engine breaking seem smoother. I no longer have a slight delay or almost a stutter on hard acceleration from a stop like I did before the install. That is something I noticed every since it was new. The service department at the dealership told me it was normal. I now know it is either from the way it was geared from the factory or from the heaver stock weights. I'm not sure which, but this kit took care of it. Climbing over obstacles is much easier to control and takes less throttle. I noticed the same powering around tight turns on the trails. I can now easily stand the 700 all the way up in high gear provided I have some traction. It was a little difficult on Saturday's ride because we were getting a wintery mix of rain snow and ice. Sunday was better, but still cold and wet. The 550 definitely has more bottom end torque than my 700 had stock. It will stand all the way up easily in low. It was also pulling the front wheels up a little while spinning the rears in high. With better traction, I think it would be possible to pull it up in high too. I haven't had an oppertunity to open either of them up to test top speed, but I can say that the Grizzly's will get up to top speed quicker. On my 700, I was able to hit 55 mph on a short stretch of paved road leading up to where we parked the trailer. Before installing the sheave kit, I could only hit 47 mph on the same stretch of pavement. To say I am happy with this purchase would be an understatement. Everyone told me tires are the best mod you can do to your bike. I don't think that is true anymore, but without the tires I wouldn't have bought this kit. It is definitely worth it and I recommend to anyone wanting to do a clutch kit!

Please let me know if you have any questions or if there is anything that I didn't address.

2013 Can Am XMR 1000
    4" CATVOS with Turner Axles
    QSC/STM Clutches with Maverick Belt
    32" Silverbacks on SS312's
    Full Muzzy Dual Exhaust
    Muzzy Digi-tuner programmed by Vforcejohn
    Modified PATV Extended Snorkel Risers
    Amsteel Blue Synthetic Winch Line
    Max Rear Seat
    Billet Pistol Grip "Can-Am" Shifter
    RDC 1.5" Billet Spring Spacers

2013 Grizzly 700
    Zillas on Black SS212's
    JBS Hot Rod Sheave, 16g Weights, and Purple Spring
    Warn 2500 Winch
    GPSmap 62sc with RAM Mount
    Yamaha Rear Cargo Box
    Yamaha UHMWPE Glide Plate

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting...
    What a Ride!

My YouTube page - Poseidon's Lair
    My Photo Albums - Pictures from our rides

Here is a couple of pictures durning the install. I took a few others, but they were to blurry so I'm not going to post them. This shows the primary sheave on the right that houses the weights and sliders, and the secondary on the left. The spring is located on the back of the secondary sheave.

IMG_0812.jpgIMG_0813.jpg

2013 Can Am XMR 1000
    Full Muzzy Dual Exhaust
    Max Rear Seat

2013 Grizzly 700
    Zillas on Black SS212's
    Warn 2500 Winch
    Yamaha Rear Cargo Box

What a Ride!

Nice install, and good to hear you like the results!

Did you notice any loss in top end speed? I installed 1.5mm of shim on the primary shaft to get lower gearing and installed a gold epi spring on the secondary for added pressure. Ended up costing me about 5 mph on the top end. I'm currently running the stock weights in the primary also.
    Super ATV Bumper
    Uni Filter w/ Hanger Mod
    Custom Snorks
    EHS Bullet Box
    EPI Spring (GOLD)
    1.5MM Shim
    Spyder Grips
    2R Racing Tip
    2" High Lifter Kit

I didn't loose any top end, although, I probably wouldn't miss it if it did. I rarely have an opportunity to hit 64mph! The JBS kit will increase bottom end and mid range without sacrificing top end. The Mr Pulley overdrive weights put you right in the power band as soon as you hit the throttle and keeps you in it. It pulls hard all the way.

Nice list of mods! So much for waiting for the warranty to run out! lol

2013 Can Am XMR 1000
    Full Muzzy Dual Exhaust
    Max Rear Seat

2013 Grizzly 700
    Zillas on Black SS212's
    Warn 2500 Winch
    Yamaha Rear Cargo Box

What a Ride!

Reply to Thread