Welcome to Bad Habits Off Road - Sign Up or Login

You are currently showing up as a guest, take a minute to sign up on the site to gain full access to all of the topics and features. Signing up takes 2 minutes, sign up today!

Reply to Thread

Wheel base questions

Been seeing more of the 2 up's out there. Also bikes like the XMR all with longer wheel base. It got me thinking that there must be an advantage to the longer wheel base other than just carrying a passenger. They could have built the XMR on an XT platform, so why would they use the MAX platform? Also seen several 2 up's modified to mud bikes.

1) How much of a difference (good or bad) does the longer wheel base make on an ATV?

2) Is it enough to make a difference?

3)If so, what are the strengths and weaknesses of a long wheel base?

I would think they would high center easier.

2013 Can Am XMR 1000
    4" CATVOS with Turner Axles
    QSC/STM Clutches with Maverick Belt
    32" Silverbacks on SS312's
    Full Muzzy Dual Exhaust
    Muzzy Digi-tuner programmed by Vforcejohn
    Modified PATV Extended Snorkel Risers
    Amsteel Blue Synthetic Winch Line
    Max Rear Seat
    Billet Pistol Grip "Can-Am" Shifter
    RDC 1.5" Billet Spring Spacers

2013 Grizzly 700
    Zillas on Black SS212's
    JBS Hot Rod Sheave, 16g Weights, and Purple Spring
    Warn 2500 Winch
    GPSmap 62sc with RAM Mount
    Yamaha Rear Cargo Box
    Yamaha UHMWPE Glide Plate

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting...
    What a Ride!

My YouTube page - Poseidon's Lair
    My Photo Albums - Pictures from our rides

I ride a 2 up and I really like the longer wheel base. Before the side by sides were really introduced into the mudding sport I think the longer wheel base was a huge advantage in a lot of mud hole because the regular four Wheeler wheel base was so much shorter that most the time you rear ties were not fully in the rut by time your front tires were already coming out of the mud hole. But now that the side by sides are so much more common there isn't as much of an advantage in that aspect. I still like the look of them and believe they are not as easy to roll over backwards when climbing a steep Hill.

Foot on the throttle, Mouth on the bottle
    2006 Arctic Cat 500 manual, 4.0 gears, Racked radiator,
    2" lift, HMF exhaust, stock rims, 1" spacers, 28" Vampire EDL's,
    snorkel, jet kit

2010 Polaris Rzr S, Arctic thunder snorkel, ITP Rims, 29.5 Outlaws,
    custom radio

2007 Arctic Cat 650 H1, ITP Rims, 29.5 outlaws, Prowler 4.0 Diffs,
    Custom Snorkel, Racked Ratiator, Jet kit, slide mod, 2" Lift

Just cleaning the mud out for the Smaller Guys!

February 2013 POTM Winner! tekrsq's Avatar

The wheelbase on my bike is approx 6 1/2" longer than the standard 800 Sportsman of the same year, but the overall length is only 3" greater. It probably does high center a little easier than a non 2 up, but I haven't noticed a problem with it yet. Of course, with the longer wheelbase, it is slightly less maneuverable, but again, nothing that has been a major problem (turning radius of mine is 82" vs 76" standard). According to Polaris, dry weight is only about 25lbs more than a standard, but my bike weighs 961 lbs as it sits with the accessories. And the one thing that irritates me the most...I can't get it to wheelie !!!! lol

Good points: It is considerably more stable climbing...especially with a passenger. Also, for whatever reason, it feels more stable at high speed. My bike carries 6 gal of fuel (vs 4.1).

Overall, I like it. BUT if I was building a mudder, I don't know if I would use a Polaris 2up platform ONLY because it's harder to keep the front end up out of the water. The Can Ams seem to have more ass and that probably wouldn't be an issue, though.

Now having said all that, my plan is to eventually put bigger, more mud friendly tires, and a stealth snorkle kit on it so I can play in a little deeper water. You guys are killing me, lol.
    Mine- 08 Sportsman 800 Touring- 27" Mega Mayhems, EPI clutch, 2500lb Polaris winch, front & rear brush guards, front rack extender, headlight Mod, Quadovator temp gauge, RAC Engineering reverse/ work lights, Polaris rear storage box, EBC brakes, Triangle ATV Stealth Snorkels, Rubber Down Customs radiator relocation kit.

Hers- 05 Scrambler 500- Polaris rear rack, Bear Claw tires, EBC brakes

I have a 700 and a1000 mud pro. The 1000 is way more capable. I do miss water wheelies, cause it willnot come up in the front. The 1000mp is an amazing machine...stable fast very capable in mud. The longer wheel base does all of that. Its a little bit heavier than the other ones and occasionally that hurts it in a hole, but most of the time the torque more than makes up for it.
    Team Deep And Wet
    Malice- '11 Thunder Kitty mud pro
    Mayhem- '09 700 mud pro
    Grandpa-'05 A/C 500m

"if you can't shoot it, race it, sleep with it, or eat it....ya just don't need it."

On the rzr side of things has its ups and downs. The trails tend to be a pain in the a turning left and right in tight places, on the 4 seater that is. Worst is at night when it is harder to see when backing. Think the overall ride may be smoother. Have been stuck a few times but not alot of experience, on the good or bad, in the good mud holes. That should change in the near future.
    Ever drink a Silver Seven

January 2014 POTM Winner HondaGuy's Avatar

The reason Can-Am did it is to make it better for water pit racing, it's way easier to control how far the front end comes up with the longer wheel base. Personally I hate it, bikes feel sluggish and hippo heavy so to speak. The only time it would feel better is going in a straight line it would be considerably more stable, which is why drag bikes are almost always stretched in one form or fashion, but vice versa flat track or other circuit racing bikes are often slightly shortened wheelbase wise to make them "pivot" and turn better.
    04 Honda Rubicon 500, Snorkeled, radiator relocated, Moose 2" lift, spring spacers on front shocks, halfway Rhino'd, 14x7 Highlifter XL2s and 30" Silverback X-Lites
    04 Yamaha Shee long term project "Flying Shee"

05 Honda Recon snorkeled, 2" Highlifter lift, 14" XL2s and 26x9 Zillas(hers)

95 Jeep XJ 4.0 AX15, NP231, D30, 29sp 8.25 welded, 6" lift, 33x12.50 Wild Trail RVTs on 15x10 "Soft 8s", 340,000mi and still going

Thanks for the info everyone. That was pretty much my thoughts too, but always good to hear what everyone else thinks.

2013 Can Am XMR 1000
    4" CATVOS with Turner Axles
    QSC/STM Clutches with Maverick Belt
    32" Silverbacks on SS312's
    Full Muzzy Dual Exhaust
    Muzzy Digi-tuner programmed by Vforcejohn
    Modified PATV Extended Snorkel Risers
    Amsteel Blue Synthetic Winch Line
    Max Rear Seat
    Billet Pistol Grip "Can-Am" Shifter
    RDC 1.5" Billet Spring Spacers

2013 Grizzly 700
    Zillas on Black SS212's
    JBS Hot Rod Sheave, 16g Weights, and Purple Spring
    Warn 2500 Winch
    GPSmap 62sc with RAM Mount
    Yamaha Rear Cargo Box
    Yamaha UHMWPE Glide Plate

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting...
    What a Ride!

My YouTube page - Poseidon's Lair
    My Photo Albums - Pictures from our rides

Reply to Thread